Odesa repairs power grid after major Russian overnight attack
Twelve people were injured as missiles and drones damaged energy infrastructure, homes and the port. Crews are working to restore electricity and water.
This item was produced with AI assistance under the editorial responsibility of Haydamax OU.
Repair crews in Odesa were working to restore electricity and other services on Aug. 9 after a major Russian attack overnight. Regional officials said several dozen missiles and drones targeted the Odesa region, damaging infrastructure and residential areas.
Electricity was interrupted in parts of the city and surrounding district. Some neighborhoods also experienced problems with water supplies and mobile communications. DTEK said energy facilities sustained serious damage and that full repairs would take time.
The human toll rose during the morning. Odesa’s regional administration said 12 people were injured; 11 were hospitalized in moderate condition and one was treated without admission.
President Volodymyr Zelensky said the attack also damaged the city’s port. He used the latest strikes to renew his argument that Ukraine needs more air-defense systems and interceptor missiles. Zelensky says anti-ballistic missile deliveries are lower in 2026 than they were last year, while Russia continues to use large numbers of ballistic weapons and attack drones against Ukrainian cities.
Same event, other desks
Story file →
uk
В Одесі після нічної атаки відновлюють електропостачання, кількість постраждалих зросла до 12
09.08 18:46
en
Odesa outages expose Ukraine’s winter energy vulnerability
09.08 18:46
de
Russischer Großangriff trifft Energieversorgung in Odesa
09.08 18:46
de
Nach Angriff auf Odesa laufen Reparaturen am Stromnetz
09.08 18:46
es
Odesa recupera luz y agua tras un ataque ruso masivo
09.08 18:46
it
Odesa, attacco russo colpisce energia e porto: 12 feriti
09.08 18:46